Sunday, October 11, 2009

National Coming Out Day

Today is National Coming Out Day--it is an important day for me. I am pansexual (similar to bi but not limited to the gender binary) and I recently started questioning my gender idenity (I believe I am genderqueer). Most people view me as a straight female because I'm biologically female and usually present as a femme female. I came out to my university National Coming Out Day last year by wearing a t-shirt that said "I am bi" on the front and "I will be proud" on the back. This weekend I came out to two family friends as a part of my gradual coming out process. For the time being most of the people at my university and a few other people know I'm pansexual and only two people know I'm gender queer. Coming out is a gradual process and one that's always on my mind. I worry about people noticing that I'm looking at/buying man's and woman's clothes at thrift stores, I'm scared that my rainbow ring or rainbow necklace will out me. I want to be fully out but I'm just not ready at this point in time. I will be coming out to the 3 girls I live with (probably as bi) within the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment